There are a variety of models for community development that are reasonably accessible. A primary development model that is growing in popularity is “pocket neighborhoods” of not-so-big houses and a shared common building. Another model with growing interest is converting large houses or commercial buildings for cooperative housing with a combination of private suites and shared common space. The key is to do small manageable projects and to incorporate tools to facilitate relational harmony.
We have lived in both models and are currently developing Echo Hills Cottages and are collaborating in the design, development, and marketing of other projects. The following outline provides a simplified understanding of the key consideration for the development process required for co-creating sustainable community. The team at Habitat Re-Imagined can help guide you through the process to thoroughly and efficiently navigate each step. Contact me for more information.
The Vision: From Conception to Intention
- Consider interpersonal personal needs, wants, values, involvement
- Establish goals, objectives, and time frame
- Consider the design parameters for land, homes, and community
- Consider budget parameters, along with available and needed resources
- Clarify vision, mission, aims, and values
The People: Community and Team Formation
- Establish culture parameters and relational tools for communication, decision making, conflict, etc.
- Consider ownership options, agreement, and governance structures.
- Establish marketing plan for owners, renters, investors.
- Establish and coordinate professional team of realtors, engineers, architects, builders, lawyers, government officials, etc
The Place: Site Search, Feasibility, and Acquisition
- Establish property search parameters
- Consider and investigate options.
- Negotiate price and terms
- Consider feasibility and perform due diligence: code conformity, access and infrastructure needs, development costs, etc.
- Purchase property
The Plan: Site and Home Planning
- Establish conceptual design and engineering needs.
- Establish permaculture, green building, and aesthetic design parameters
- Establish site and home design details and specifications
- Obtain development approvals and building permits
- Finalize budget, financing, schedule, suppliers, contractors, etc.
The Construction: Site Development and Home Building
- Construct infrastructure: sewer, water, roads, etc.
- Construct homes.